WWTFC SANFL Team of the First 20 years

View previous topic View next topic Go down

WWTFC SANFL Team of the First 20 years

Post by Eagle014 on Sun May 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Fantastic night at Woodville last night to celebrate our 20th Anniversary & the naming of our team for the first 20 years.
The MC for the night was Mark Soderstrom who did a terrific job.
Great to see so many of our past players in attendance - Passador, Inkster, McGregor, Morphett, Schwarz, Rogers, Payze, Colville, Lindsay, Weidemann, Skipworth, Phillipou, Camporeale, apologies if I've missed anyone.
Congratulations to everyone responsible for last night, it was one of the best nights I've attended at the Club for many years.
Now for our team of the frist 20 years:-
F/wd J Sziller - Passador - Grocke
H/Fwd Inkster - McGregor - Morphett
Centre Payze - Colville - Jarrad
H/bck Tape - McKenzie - Rogers
F/Bck Powell - Hall - Schwarz (Capt)
Rucks Lindsay - Cicolella (V/Capt) - S Sziller
Interchange Niemann - Wiedemann - Pesch
Coach Ron Fuller
Eagle014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: WWTFC SANFL Team of the First 20 years

Post by spell_check on Sun May 29, 2011 7:54 pm

The only thing I could argue there is McGregors' place in the side. He only played about 60 matches, and while he did win matches for us, I reckon the 2009 season was fresh in the minds of the selectors. I would have thought Andrew Taylor be the CHF here.

What was the team of AFL players?
spell_check

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo on Sun May 29, 2011 8:09 pm

Was certainaly a great night, dont think there would be too many arguments with that side, from memory I think a minimum of 50 games was required for selection.
Was great to see -

Shirls get over from Canberra after playing in Newcastle yesterday for Ainslie against the Swans reserves,

Tim Inkster down from Loxton after playing yesterday,

Skippy and Pass over from Melbourne and Paul over from WA. All 3 are still having a kick, Skippy in a local comp in Melbourne when it doesnt clash with his role as a Development coach with Essendon, Pass with Old Scotch in Vic Amateurs (although he has just fractured his hand for the second time this year) and Paul in the south west of WA.
Columbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aerie on Sun May 29, 2011 8:33 pm

Always hard to do these teams but would have thought Taylor and Pyman would have been included.
Aerie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check on Mon May 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Compared to the original team of the decade, 9 players are different. 6 of these had to be when you took into the 50 match qualification (technically 5 because Prymke played 54 matches, but 7 of those were night series).

They are (without night series matches)
Shayne Breuer 27
Paul Bulluss 21
Brett Burton 28 (23 up to 2000)
Scott Camporeale 14
Glenn Freeborn 24
Paul Prymke 47

So, of course, these players come from those who primarily played between 2001 and 2010. I'd have thought that Passador (club leading goalkicker), Cicolella, McKenzie and Lindsay would be walk up starts for four of those six when the side was considered.

Taylor, Pyman and Adam Pearce were the unlucky players not to be selected in the revised side. I certainly would have thought Taylor for sure would have been in the side. Also, either Matthew or Chris Kluzek had to be pushing for a place. If Chris did not have those knee troubles, he could have been the full-forward of the side, given he was just 23 when he retired, and already had 182 goals to his name.
spell_check

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by spell_check on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:03 pm

An amusing observation was that the Western Suburbs Messenger had Brett Fishpool at Full Back in the team, and not Steven Hall.
spell_check

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Columbo on Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:59 pm

spell_check wrote:An amusing observation was that the Western Suburbs Messenger had Brett Fishpool at Full Back in the team, and not Steven Hall.

They published a correction this week in the Messenger, I didnt even notice the error when i looked at the article last week.

on the flip side...How shattered must Brett Fishpool be now to discover he has missed out... Razz
Columbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum